In 1955, Dorcas B. Reilly of Campbell’s Kitchen created Green Bean Casserole as a way to make the most out of ingredients commonly found in kitchen cabinets, and deliver a wholesome, home-cooked meal to the table quickly and easily. Green Bean Casserole is now served in over 30 million households each holiday season.
The recipe, courtesy of CampbellsKitchen.com:
Campbell’s Green Bean Casserole
Prep: 10 minutes. Bake: 30 minutes. Makes: 12 servings
- 2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups cooked cut green beans
- 2 2/3 cups French’s® French Fried Onions
- Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 1 1/3 cups onions in 3-quart casserole.
- Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
- Bake 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
Use 2 bags (16 to 20 ounces) frozen green beans, 4 packages (9 ounces each) frozen green beans, 4 cans (about 16 ounces each) green beans or about 3 pounds fresh green beans for this recipe.
For added crunch, add ½ cup sliced almonds to the onion topping.